With the arrival of spring, many people find themselves heading outside to enjoy the bright, warm weather. Outdoor living space becomes just as important as indoor. Whether you’re short on outdoor space because you don’t have a lot of yard to work with or you’re simply trying to make the most out of every foot of available space, creating a spring rooftop deck can help you maximize your enjoyment of the gorgeous spring weather.
What Is a Rooftop Deck?
A rooftop deck takes the roof of your home and turns it into living space. With a flat roof, it’s easy to create outdoor living space that has a number of advantages. For example:
- Enjoy the great outdoors in your own personal space, uninterrupted by the neighbors or anyone else who might happen to wander by like they would when you’re using the yard
- Rise above many of the obstructions blocking your view and enjoy the full experience you wanted when you designed your home
- Create a sense of exclusivity: only those with an invitation can enter this particular outdoor haven
- Add security to furniture and other items that you keep outdoors, since they’re on your roof instead of being left at ground level
Rooftop decks can encompass the entire roof or make up only a portion of it depending on how your space is arranged and what your needs are. In some cases, they tower above the surrounding homes; in others, a rooftop deck may be level with or even below nearby roofs. It all depends on your area and your needs.
What are Rooftop Decks Used For?
Rooftop decks have a number of common uses. If you can use a regular deck for it–from barbecues to sunning–you can do it on a rooftop deck. Some common uses:
- A rooftop deck makes a gorgeous oasis that you can use to get away from the cares of the world.
- A rooftop deck is an excellent place to entertain, from its unique vantage point to its exclusive nature
- A rooftop deck is the perfect place for barbecues and other gatherings filled with friends and family. The kids are corralled by the edges of the deck, so the grownups have more freedom to enjoy one another’s company. The high vantage point is also ideal for keeping an eye on children or teens playing in the yard.
- A rooftop deck offers additional convenience for sunbathing, since you’re less easily viewed from surrounding homes.
- A rooftop deck offers an excellent space for you to use for gardening. Since your roof rises above many nearby structures, you’re more likely to get full sunlight for your plants. If it can be grown in a container, from herbs to vegetables, it can be grown on your rooftop deck.
- A rooftop deck is an excellent place to install a fire pit for rooftop cookouts.
The Importance of Waterproofing
Your rooftop deck is an excellent addition to your home. It’s critical, however, that this space be waterproofed correctly in order to protect the rest of the home and secure that space. Just as your roof provides a waterproof layer that protects your home from damage, your rooftop deck must also offer that protection. Because you’re using the space, there are even more opportunities for damage from furniture, heavy items, and people walking around. As a result, you must keep up with your waterproofing efforts.
Making the most of your outdoor living space means keeping it protected. If you need help with your waterproofing, from installing your waterproof rooftop deck to enjoy this spring to inspecting it or renewing the waterproof coating before you start using the space this spring, contact us to learn how we can help.