When thinking about waterproofing, most think of what seems to be the obvious reason for waterproofing their deck- protection from water. Water damage to wood causes it to expand and crack pre-maturely. But other than water damage, there are several other benefits to waterproofing you may not know.
What are the unknown benefits of waterproofing?
The benefits of waterproofing that extend beyond simple protection from water include:
- Dry Rot protection: Waterproofing your deck also protects against dry rot. Dry rot is not only unsightly to look at, but it is also extremely dangerous to your deck. If enough dry rot is present, your deck can actually collapse resulting in serious damage to your property and potentially to people. If your deck has not been properly cared for up this point, you can examine for dry rot by checking for sponge-like consistency on any of the boards. The best way to prevent dry rot is waterproofing your deck.
- Extend the life of your deck: Waterproofing is not only beneficial for protecting your wood and your investment, but also for extending the life of your deck. Proper maintenance of your deck should include resealing every three to five years at minimum. This simple maintenance step can add years to the life of your deck.
- Mildew and sunlight damage: Waterproofing not only protects your deck from damage caused by water, it also protects from sunlight and mildew damage.
- UV rays cause discoloration and deterioration. Even on days the sun is not shining brightly, UV rays are strong and are wreaking havoc on unprotected wood on decks.
- In addition to protection from the elements, waterproofing also protects your deck from getting scratches and damage from foot traffic and deck furniture. Most of us put a deck in for entertainment purposes. This means your deck will see a lot of foot traffic and wear and tear. Instead of worrying about potential damage to your deck from friends and family, be prepared and protect on a regular basis to extend the “life of the party” as well.
- Leaves leave behind mold and mildew: Leaves often collect in the corners of your deck and are often overlooked as a culprit for significant damage. As summer fades away and fall settles in, many don’t notice the gradual build of leaves in the corners of their deck. They seem harmless, but are the largest cause of rot from mold and mildew.
- Personalize the look of your deck: You can change the look of the exterior of your home without costly upgrades by customizing the coating of your deck. When you are looking for a way to freshen up your look without costly remodels or upgrades, waterproofing can be just the thing you need to appeal to that desire for change. Use the savings to entertain more guests on your deck instead!
- Safety: Uncoated substrates has actually resulted in more slips and falls. Protect your family and your guests by waterproofing your deck on a regular basis.
- Improve the look: Decks that are waterproofed simply look better. It’s true; waterproofing freshens up your deck and, in addition to the many protection benefits, it also makes it look great year after year.
While waterproofing your deck has many benefits, it’s equally important to choose the right company to do the job. Be sure to choose a company with a good reputation, plenty of experience, insurance and proper license. This will help protect your investment.
At Pli-Dek we have over 35 years of experience and can be trusted to do the job right. We manufacture a variety of coatings for the building industry and can help you choose the one that is right for you. Contact us today for more information!